"They told me I had a very pretty girlfriend and that when we got married I should bring you back to their restaurant every week and we'd all teach you Thai! They wouldn't believe me when I tried to explain that it was actually our first date!"
I couldn't decide if I was glad he'd told me, or if I was embarrassed, or if it made me awkward...just wasn't sure, but I tried to shake it off.
We went on to Olive Garden and then Jefferson drove to the Provo Temple and parked the car. It had all the signs of a desire to "park" (wink, wink) except the fact he had parked by the temple and then scooted as far over on his side of the car as he physically could. I did likewise, not wanting to give him any ideas. (Daddy always taught me not to be giving boys "ideas"...wasn't ever really sure what he was talking about, but I always tried to play it safe.)
We sat and talked. He was a really good listener and I soon found I was sharing more things with him than I had with anyone in a long time. Before I knew it, I was the one who had a sudden urge to kiss him just for how sweet he was being. I squelched that urge, not wanting to scare him off.
I mean, who knows, this could actually go somewhere, I thought.
When Jefferson dropped me off, he walked me to the door and gave me the traditional awkward-first-date-hug. That aforementioned urge resurfaced, but was immediately suppressed. My parents were waiting up for me, as was their way, and asked me how the date went. I began to pump out every fact I could remember, what his Build-A-Bear looked like, the scene at the restaurant, everything, when my dad said, "So do you like this boy?"
How do you answer that? "It's only been one date, Dad," I said.
"Well, you'd better be prepared to make some important decisions, 'cause they're coming up."
At this I rolled my eyes. "Right, Dad," I said unbelieving.
"I'm being serious. Don't mess with this boy's emotions."
"Okay, Dad," I said in the same tone, and then continued to fill in my mom.
How little did I know then!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment