I'm finally twenty!
...
And you know how the rest of the song goes.
Ever since January, Jefferson had been planning a big surprise for my birthday and I wasn't able to figure it out. Last night, my sister-in-law, Jessica, had the task of keeping me away from our apartment, my parent's house, as well as my husband's parent's house, too. We went to Color-Me-Mine and bounced ideas off of each other as to what to paint on our ceramic items. Then we had dinner at Coney's and took a trip around Barnes & Noble. I was sorely tempted to buy a book, but Jess was determined that I could find it cheaper online and wouldn't let me squander my money. This behavior I found quite odd, but soon forgot as we headed to the mall to find a cute outfit for me to wear.
The next day, after work, Jefferson dropped me off at home with the instructions to get dressed somewhat quickly but look nice, too. Obviously, he's a boy and has no idea what a feat that is!
What happens next deserves a preface:
When we first got Netflix, my favorite show was Cake Boss. Not only did the gorgeous cakes feed my creativity, but Buddy reminds me of my dad:
(personally, I think they have the
same hair, nose, and body type :) )
But I loved this show. I would do all my household duties with this show going on in the background. I loved to see what Buddy and his crew could do with their skills.
Well, my hubby took it into his head that he should be my Cake Boss. So for my birthday, with the help (well, sorta, but not really) of my sisters, and the tremendous skills of his mother, they managed to produce a cake that looked startingly similar to the one on Sleeping Beauty, you know the one "with pink and blue forget-me-nots"? In other words, instead of looking like this:
or this:
or even this:
My cake looked a little more along the lines of this:
Okay... not quite that bad. More like this:
Thanks to Jefferson's mother's ingenuity, and a bunch of wooden skewers and toothpicks, it was a little more sturdy in that it could stand on it's own, but there were a few errors due to my siblings and spouse:
#1--whoever was responsible for pouring out the water (Mandy), put too much in the bottom layer so that by the time all the other layers were stacked on the top, it was sinking and tilting dangerously.
#2--whoever was responsible for purchasing the cake mix (hubsand) bought at least eight too many, leaving me with the remainder. Anybody have good recipes for vanilla cake mix?
Besides that, the birthday went off without a hitch. We barely made a dent in the cake even with Jefferson's family and all of my family, minus one brother and plus a cousin. For my gift, I got my very own AmazonKindle Electronic Reader! Yay! Jess's strange behavior from the night before when we were at the book store suddenly made sense! She wasn't about to let me buy a book when she knew all along what my birthday present was. Thank goodness for sisters-in-law!






No comments:
Post a Comment