Sunday, June 5, 2011

Lord of the Rings Meets Lost

It's been a year. Wow. That went fast. You know how people are always saying that the first year will go by fast? Believe them, because it does!

For our very first wedding anniversary, Jefferson and I wanted to go out of town, but not so far out that we'd be traveling for the better part of the trip, but far enough away that we could say we were "out of town." Jefferson suggested Moab, UT. Mistake #1--letting the husband pick the destination.


(For those of you who have never traveled with me, I am the worst Road Trip Buddy ever...pretty sure...I just fall asleep. The car starts and BOOM, I'm out like a light. Anywho...) 

After a nice five hour nap in my case, we pulled into Moab and the long awaited Vacation began. A day into it, and we were hiking at Arches National Park (so beautiful, but I've seen the Delicate Arch on every license plate in the state for the past nine years, so please explain to me why I have to hike 3.5 miles one way to see it when I can just look at the cars in the parking lot and get the same effect?) when Jefferson realized he'd left his wedding ring at the hotel (that was mistake #3. What was mistake #2? Letting the hubby wield the camera!):

one of the many attempts of Jefferson to get me to 
kiss him on camera in front of complete strangers... 
I wasn't really going for it.

we finally made it! 
can you see the tears in my eyes? 
that's because someone told me that now we had to hike back.
(not really, it was just super windy up there, 
as evident from my wayward locks!)

see that tiny speck in the middle of the arch?
 that's my husband. 
my six foot seven inch tall husband. 
eep!


look familiar to you Utahns?
no?
look at your license plate sometime.


Well, we decided not to worry too much about it just then, but come on! This isn't any old wedding ring: Jefferson and I have his parents' first wedding rings and they are total heirlooms these, I mean, they don't make 'em like this anymore, if you catch my drift. So when we got back to the hotel and we couldn't find it anywhere, you can imagine the panic. It's not like we could just run to the nearest Zales and get a duplicate! 

Jefferson was such a good sport. He decided to not let the loss of his ring ruin the entire trip, but I knew he was totally bummed about it, as did the entire hotel staff. Poor boy couldn't bug 'em enough! 

Two days and still no sign of the ring. The hotel cleaning crew had searched the room, their carts, and the laundry without a trace. Times were getting desperate, I mean they were about to search the garbage for pete's sake! (Have you ever seen the contents of a hotel garbage? Tis not a sight we shall soon forget!) 

We were relaxing in our hotel room after a nice swim, when the phone rang. The phone. The phone is ringing! This is serious! Turns out Jefferson's ring had been hiding in a vacuum bag the whole time! Well hallelujah for that, but don't you think, if you had sucked up a ring in your vacuum, that something was amiss when the machine started to clank and chug and rattle? How'd they miss that? I mean, our vacuum goes into a conniption if I try and suck up a staple, let alone a wedding band.

The rest of the vacation was spent with peace of mind, if not leisure. (How can one truly relax when one's husband insists on taking one traipsing through the desert? I mean, really.) On the way home, we swung by Goblin Valley. That hike was at least one that I liked! Lots of fun climbing and jumping and so many good photo opportunities! 




somehow we managed to wear the same 
colored t-shirts almost every day that week.
if he wore purple, I somehow managed 
to wear purple, and vice-versa.

Can't wait for the next year! Only this time, I'm picking the destination! Just kidding, but seriously!

No comments:

Post a Comment