Friday, July 15, 2011

"Quake"-Boarding....Wait, Wha....?


Say hello to hubsand. This photo was taken last September, which was also the last time I tried wake-boarding. It was the last time we went boating that summer, and let me just say it was pretty miserable: Freezing water, freezing winds, lots of mosquitos. Add that all together and that spells fun to you people?! Apparently, and the worst part? Somehow I got talked into giving it a try. (What can I say? I've never done well under peer pressure.) That was the first bad idea. The second one was swearing aloud every time I face-planted it (which was every time, let me tell you.). Who knew sound traveled across water so well?

Seeing as how my previous experience on the wake-board was so lovely, you can understand why I wasn't exactly thrilled to be going today. We had a really fun group planned, in-laws and our friend and Best Man at our wedding, Christopher, who is one of our closest and best buddies, not to mention a riot to hang with, oh and did I mention he's single? *cough-cough* ;)


Anywho, after a couple of solid hours wherein I refused to get in the water, much less strap a board to my feet, I finally got up the courage to just go for it. Thirty minutes later (no I was not swearing yet) I still hadn't cleared the water and my arms were starting to wear out from being dragged behind a boat! Jefferson saw that if I didn't get up soon, I was going to get frustrated again and probably never set foot on his parent's boat ever again, and being the sweet man that he is, he thought it would be a good idea to jump in and assist me. Oh boy. How do you tell someone who loves you very much and just wants to help you that you don't want their help and you'd much rather do it yourself? Well, no matter how you put it, it doesn't sound good, but I gave it a shot anyway.

Remember what I was saying earlier about how sound travels across water really well? Yeah...the entire boat heard me stumble over myself saying things like, "honey, I love you, but I need to do this myself." But it wasn't that I didn't want his help, it's just that I'd tried his advice the last time and it wasn't working for me to so very good. (I mean, what works for his 6'7" stature isn't really gonna work for my measly 5'6", am I right? Two totally different centers of gravity.) Finally, he got the message, clambered back into the boat and not too long after that, POP goes the Genny!

I got up! Whoopee! Oh no! Now what do I do? I've never gotten up on the actual board before! AHHHH! *glub-glub* And that's how the remainder of the trip went. I would get up, just to get scared, drop the rope and sink like a rock. Thank goodness for life jackets!

No comments:

Post a Comment