Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Jefferson and Hobbles


I pretty much felt like Susie in this comic yesterday while I was at the doctor's office. Yeah, you read right, but I'll back up a step and explain how I got to the doctor in the first place:

Jefferson is always trying to get me to do stupid stuff (and by "stupid" I mean "most likely to end in injury of some kind"), things like scuba diving, wake-boarding, and skiing. His latest thrill? Longboarding. Ever since he got home from Asia, I've been trying to work really hard on being willing to try new things, so when Jefferson suggested we go longboarding at least once on our three day weekend, I cautiously agreed.

Bad idea. I didn't even make it down one run before biffing it and seriously injuring my foot in the process. As my friend Syd said in an email, "What were you thinking going longboarding??? Sweetie, your equilibrium is not that good! You are so very clumsy sweetheart!!!" Now she tells me! :)

After I bailed off the board, I landed on the outer edge of my right foot, twerking it at a funny angle and then falling in the opposite direction, only twerking it more. And if that doesn't help matters, after all that, my board came crashing into the same foot! Hello instant pain. At first impact, I knew for sure I'd broken something, but I wasn't sure if it was my ankle or my foot...then again, maybe I just sprained something, I thought.

I struggled up the hill back to the car. Jefferson was all encouragement, but after my foot had enough time to swell and the pain localized in my foot not my ankle, I wasn't so sure about the whole "maybe I just sprained it" thing. Once we got home I tried to step out of the car unaided and my suspicions were comfirmed: it hurt like the dickens! Jefferson tried to massage the swollen blob that had become my foot, rubbing it with IcyHot and tenderly moving my ankle around. No dice.

"Do you want to go to the doctor?" he asked, noting my tear-stained face nearly an hour after the initial accident.

Money's been a little tight this month after we bought a jeep, and our insurance doesn't exactly cover doctor's visits, but I just couldn't bear the thought of struggling for months trying to walk on my foot if it truly was broken. I voted "yes" and after being carried up the stairs to the car and hopping into the foyer of Springville's instacare, I was starting to feel a little better about my decision. That was until I noticed that Jefferson had conveniently brought his camera along.

"You'll thank me later," he said...yeah...that hasn't happened yet, but since we have them, I might as well show the damage:

(photos to come)

No comments:

Post a Comment