Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Conquering the Curse of the Evil Fortune Cookie

All I wanted to do was move the bookshelf, the really cheap bookshelf that we bought at Walmart. I love to decorate it all super cute with vintage books, family photos, and nick-nacks. Well, yesterday, I got an urging to move the furniture around in the family room. I cleared that bookshelf off and, bracing my shoulder against the middle shelf, I pulled up, only to have half the bookshelf come off in my arms and the other half drop to the floor in a heap of brokenness.

Well, now it was settled and I had to move the furniture to compensate for the lack of tallness my bookshelf had suddenly acquired. So the couch went under the window, the half-shelf went in the corner, and the TV went against the other wall (there are only so many, you know) and then voila!

I finished just as Jefferson came home and he liked it, which totally caught me by surprise. He'd always been so against moving the furniture, liking things right where they were. But he liked it, even more than the arrangement before, so take that fortune cookie!

Let me explain: when we were first married, Jefferson and I went out to lunch at the mall, and he got Chinese, which included, as always, a fortune cookie. His fortune read something along the lines of "You have very good taste. People would be wise to listen to your suggestions." As you can imagine, this went straight to his head and the poor boy thought that it was gospel. Any time I wanted to change things up, Jefferson would bring up the fortune cookie, "Remember what my fortune cookie said? I have good taste, so the couch should stay right where it is," etc. Anyhow, husband started to forget that I have good taste, too, (stupid Fortune Cookie) so I just had to prove myself.

It all started with the broken bookshelf, so I guess that means I have to be grateful that we spent money on something that broke not even a year into our marriage! Curse you Fortune Cookie!



1 comment:

  1. Don't you just love crappy fortunes? Or in this case, ones that go straight to people's heads?
    haha, I'm glad you beat the fortune cookie.

    ReplyDelete