Anyway, last week Jefferson started up his first semester of college (I am so stinking proud of him!). He hasn't been to school since he was seventeen, having graduated early and then worked to save-up for his mission, so we decided to ease him into this almost new experience. He's still working full-time (though he gets off an hour before I do...salary employee vs hourly one) and take one night class every night, rotating between math and English.
When I get off at four and head home, he's already at school, either doing homework or being in class. This gives me a few hours (some days more than others) to myself. That first night, I took a bubble bath and totally had a girly-blast, painting my nails (which I hadn't done in a while) and reading a book (also not done in a while). The next night, I hit the spare room.
For those of you who don't know what it's like to have a spare room, that since the day you got married has just accumulated clutter, you're lucky. I reamed and reamed and cleared out and sorted and then sorted some more until all unneeded and unnecessary things were bagged for DI, and all the wanted and needed things were organized to my hearts content. The spare room was magically transformed into a neat little craft/storage space.
![]() |
| I wish my sewing/spare room looked like this! |
Since then, I've tackled the laundry, a mountainous pile that only seems to get bigger as time goes forward, and even taken my husband's suits to the dry-cleaners for the first time since our marraige (Jefferson has a bad habit of leaving his dry-clean-only suits on the floor where they get thoroughly trampled, and then picking them up and wearing them to church the next week. Now this may not seem so bad, but when your husband is the Gospel Doctrine teacher and all the little old ladies have a crush on him (it's true, they ask him to call them by their first names and everything!) you, the Gospel Doctrine teachers wife, are responsible for making sure that his suits and shirts are pressed and stellar and if you don't, you get lots of evil glares in Relief Society)
I was totally happy with this new arrangement when Jefferson called me and asked if I wanted to take scuba classes and get certified. It's not till January I thought, sure why not? Well, January's here, folks, and I had my very first scuba class on Friday.
The class starts at six pm and goes till eleven-midnight-ish. At least it's on Fridays, right? We got to class and I got that "I-know-you-from-somewhere" feeling when our instructor started to introduce himself, "Hi, I'm _(censored)_. When I'm not teaching this scuba class, I teach geography at BYU..." lightbulb! You? Arghh! I hated your class! Yep, he was my geography teacher for my first semester of college. I was just praying that he was better at teaching scuba than he was at teaching geography!
Anyway, before the instructors can let you in the pool (most of the learning is done in the local indoor pool) you have to fill out a waver answering medical questions and what-not. Well, I answered "YES" to some of the questions, so they aren't going to let me in the pool until I get medical clearance from a doctor (I answered "YES" to Have You Ever Had a Lung Disease or Infection?--pneumonia my junior year of high school; Have You Ever Blacked Out/Passed Out/Fainted or Lost Consciousness?--also my junior year because of the pneumonia; and Do You Suffer from Severe Motion Sickness?--sure do and it sucks). My diving buddy (Megan, my 13-year-old sister-in-law) couldn't get in the water either because she needed parental permission and her parents were outta town. So we were resigned to watch from the side-lines, learn as much as we could, and then next week dive in (ha ha, punny) and catch up quick.
Well, class migrated from Scuba Ted's on main to the Springville Community Pool, and Megan and I were the first two to get inside. When we approached the front desk to tell them we were from the scuba class, the lifeguard said, "Oh, we can't let you in there! A kid just threw-up a couple times and we can't allow anyone in the pool for twelve hours." So class adjourned early and now everyone's behind a day, not just me and Megan!









Haha I can't believe a kid threw up in the pool! That is both disgusting and hilarious.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you've been married 7 months, that's so crazy to me.
And I kinda remember that time you had pneumonia. Sorry it's inhibiting your scuba classes, but you're lucky you get to learn that stuff! (I'm secretly scared of scuba diving, actually)