Jefferson and I decided to spend our week-long honeymoon exploring the coast of California. (Actually, when we were dating, I had confessed to having never seen the ocean before, and Jefferson had promised, "crossed his heart" as a matter of fact, that he would fix that.). We didn't have a plan, no hotel waiting at the other end, we just packed up and left. Here are some pics from the journey:
me and my strawberry frappiccino (caffeine free, of course!)
yum
In the background, you can see the car paint slathered on the windows. We had decided to keep that on and see how many people would honk, wave, or react in any way (however we did remove the gummy bears that had been stuck everywhere and that was nasty enough!) . The final count was 30 some-odd reactions. But boy did we live to regret the decision to let the paint be when it came to scrubbing it off! What a pain!
Jefferson and Genevieve sang as they drove and drove and drove...and drove!
Jefferson having fun at my expense...
...I wasn't even conscious to defend myself!
When we got to Cali, we found a nice little hotel called the Porto Vista. They saw the car paint with the huge JUST MARRIED across the back and gave us a discount on top of the discount they were having that week! (At least one good thing came out of those hours of scrubbing the paint off later!) We spent one day at the San Diego Zoo.
We really loved the polar bear exhibit. There was a window under the pool so you could see the bear swimming around with this huge log. It kept chasing it and tumbling around with it in the pool, jumping in and splashing and was oh so cute.
We loved the sleepy koalas, too, with their fuzzy ears and slow movements. Did you know that koalas actually make a sound between a pig snorting and a truck horn? Who would've thought!
Then there was this odd-looking bird that Jefferson was obsessed with getting a good picture of. It looked like some prehistoric dinosaur relation with red eyes, long spindly legs and a plume of feathers that came out from the top of the head, like those lizards.
waiting in line for tickets
hefalumps
we thought the cross-eyed lion bilboard was hysterical...
...and we both posed cross-eyed with it!
Jefferson having fun at my expense again...
...not as bad as the last time, though, thank goodness!
Jefferson and his guitar
I gave him that guitar for a wedding gift. I remember his facial expression to this day! It was after the reception and we went to both our parents homes to grab my luggage (at my folks') and put our reception gifts in the garage (at his). I came out of my old bedroom carrying the guitar case. Jefferson stood at the top of the stairs and his jaw literally dropped! My dad and I had searched weeks and finally found one that we thought he would like, and boy did he! He insisted on packing it for the honeymoon, which was fine with me because my dad had taught me a little song at my insistance. Of course, since I don't play guitar in any stretch of the imagination, it was a very watered-down version of the song by Dan Fogelberg, and it went something like this:
Longer than there've been fishes in the ocean
Higher than any bird ever flew
Longer than there've been stars up in the heavens
I've been in love with you
Stonger than any mountain cathedral
Truer than any tree ever grew
Deeper than any forest primeval
I am in love with you
Through the years as the fire starte to mellow
burning lines in the book of our lives
though the binding crack and the pages start to yellow
I'll be in love with you
Jefferson, that's as true today as it was the day I sang it to you.
I love you sweet boy!




No comments:
Post a Comment