Saturday, August 13, 2011

Garage Sale Sillyness

I don't know why we had so much crap cluttering our apartment. Going through it all and trying to decide what to keep and what to sell was much easier than I thought it would be. After a year of having a lot of this stuff, I'm surprised at how unattached I am to a lot of it. I even put my wedding dress up for sale on ksl.com. (I mean, I don't really see the point of hauling around a dress that I wore once and will never fit into again just to have my daughters tell me they would never wear it in a million years, when I can sell it now and actually get some mula out of it! Besides, the pictures hold more value to me anyway.)

But the funny part? I had to practically twist my husband's arm to have him get rid of anything! I mean, I'm selling my wedding dress for pete's sake, and he won't let go of a fishing pole! I never knew my sweetie was such a pack-rat! Oh well.

The garage sale was a pretty good success, oh, .... yeah, except for the part where I put 6am as the starting time on the online ad. My parents said they got up at six to start getting things ready and there were already people there! As soon as my brother got the garage door open, strangers started rifling through the shelves, saying, "Is this for sale? How about this?" Ahh! Get out! Yeah...I still haven't lived that one down. Oops.

Then there was my silly husband. I asked him to make us a sign to post on Springville Main Street. We had borrowed the company van for the weekend to help us get our stuff to my parents for the garage sale. Jefferson used a big box and a lot of duck tape and we wound up with the biggest, and most ghetto sign on Springville Main: Sharpie on cardboard, duck-taped down the broadside of an 18-seater van!

While he was off doing that, I was sitting with my mom and sisters, manning the sale, when here comes Dad and boy did he have a bone to pick with me. "Why aren't you having kids yet? You've been married a year. It's your responsibility to multiply and replenish the earth. If you're old enough to get married, you're old enough to have children." Ahh! And with no husband to back me up, my excuses fell on deaf ears, but I mean, seriously? One minute, all my parents (in-laws included) are getting on my tail about school. Now it's all about the grandbabies. Can you see how I'm getting mixed messages here? I want to finish school and get a degree, not to mention help Jefferson finish his schooling, before we start a family because do you know how hard it'll be to do that after the babies? I thought my parents, who put my dad through school for twenty years or so, would understand. Sheesh. Remind me to go with my husband next time!

After we'd made about $200 at the sale and things started to slow down, Jefferson and I, along with my sister and her boyfriend, took the remaining things to DI. When we went home much later that night (we went furniture shopping and then, after spending an hour or so trying to haul our new booth-more on that later-into our home, we took all the kids to the Resevoire in Spanish Fork and then out to ice cream) our house actually looked bigger and the stack of boxes full of things we're keeping in the corner looked so small. Again I ask, why did we have all that crap in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment