Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Cake Incident


Jefferson and I went grocery shopping with our newfound moneys the other day.

Let me just preface the rest of this story by saying that we were both so gosh darn tired, it being close to 9 o'clock at night and all, so bear with the stupidity a moment.

Jefferson was coming home from class and he asked me to write out a grocery list for us. I've gotten pretty good at that, even keeping a mental tab on what we already have and then picking a menu that uses mostly things we have on hand.

Jefferson then picked me up and we went to Smith's. Now just having gotten a fresh supply of moolah, we didn't want to blow it all on groceries (not that we would ever do that, but gosh! groceries have gotten so expensive!) so I had planned a menu involving a lot of casseroles, homemade bread (yes, I know how to make bread...so what if I use a breadmachine? That's besides the point. :) and one dessert that would last us a week or two: A Better-Than-That's-What-She-Said Cake.

I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was over the gooey, caramely goodness that is this cake! I was so looking forward to cutting into the mouthwatering confection and taking a big bite of heavenly scrumptiousness that I was drooling just thinking about getting the groceries for this bad boy.


Then Jefferson saw them: the chocolate-covered chocolate cake doughnuts. I knew those were going to find their way into our cart (call it my feminine intuition, but let's just say I know that look in my hubby's eye) and I held my tongue. What can I say? My hubsand likes his doughnuts.

As we neared the end of our grocery list, the last few things were for my Better-Than-(...you know the rest) Cake, when Jefferson said, "uhh, honey? I think we have enough groceries for this trip."

"Just a couple more things," I said.

"What are they for?" the million dollar question.

"Cake."

"Well, maybe we should wait on that."

The horns and pitchfork came out at that point. You just don't come between a woman and her cake if you know what's good for you. Apparently, Jefferson doesn't know that.

To make a long story short, we put the doughnuts back (yes, I was a bad wife and brought them up saying if we have enough money for doughnuts, I can have cake) and bought the cake ingredients.

Day Two (yes this lasted more than just the one day):
I got to work and Jefferson had bought breakfast at a nearby gas station: chocolate-covered chocolate cake doughnuts and hot cocoa. Yeah. Okay. I got the message, Mr Subtle.


After work, we swung by Walmart so that I could pick up a few things before going to workout, and while I was grabbing my things, I saw a shelf of doughnuts and I couldn't help buying a dozen. I figure it was a suitable apology, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment