Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mush!


Jefferson and I recently moved to Provo, UT, to a little apartment complex near the base of Y-Mountain. I was so excited about that simple fact because, during that month when Jefferson was in Asia, I decided to hike Y-mountain at least once a week. Now that I live less than a mile from the trailhead, I want to hike it even more often, and with Kimber, too. My goal is to be able to hike without stopping all the way up, and my dream is to one day be able to run it...but we'll see.

After having officially moved in, I decided it was time to take the puppy up the mountain. Since she was not a fan of her leash at the beginning, I brought a handful of treats and the trek began. That little stinker of a girl! I practiaclly dragged her to the trailhead. We only made it up to the third switchback (there are eleven) and then I dragged her back down and back to our apartment.

It didn't help that every time I would yank on her leash to get her moving, she would make this dramatic and nasty cough sound, like I was strangling her. People hiking along must've thought I was the worst pet owner ever!

Needless to say, I was a little skeptical about trying that hike again, but yesterday, after a weekend full of peanut M&Ms and lounging about, I was beginning to feel guilty, so I leashed Kimber up and we set out...again.

This time, however, Kimber had been stuck inside all day. She's gotton bigger (maybe twice the size she was when we first brought her home) and so the kitchen/entry area has subsequently shrunk, too. She was more than willing to go on a nice long walk, and I was thinking, Gee, this'll be great! I'll hike her til she's tired and then she'll sleep through the night! Wonderful!

Yeah...that's not what happened. Remember how last time, I dragged Kimber up the mountainside? Well this time, she dragged me. She was so curious, sniffing everything, and boy! did she want to see what was at the top of that mountain. We took breaks at each turn, and maybe once or twice in the middle of some of the really long switchbacks, but there was plenty of shade and the air was cool.

Go anywhere with Kimber and you're instantly a celebrity: random people come up to you, ask what breed she is, want to pet her, compliment you on her; the only thing they don't do is ask you for your autograph! This hike was no different and Kimber loved all the attention.

About halfway up, another gentleman was coming down, and he saw how Kimber pulled on her leash, nearly pulling me along with her, and he said, "Just say 'mush', right?" Right. :)

We finally made it to the top, and we took a short break, loving the wind and the view (I mean, the view from our apartment is gorgeous, but there's always something so breath-taking about mountains, isn't there?)


On the way back down, Kimber wanted to run so bad. I was tempted to let her off her leash, but decided instead to run a little ways. Turns out it was really hard on my knees, so I just let her pull on her leash.

At one point, a big group of people were passing us along the trail, and Kimber decided it was the perfect time to use the potty, right in the middle of the trail. Cute Kimber. Cute.

We made it home just before dark, me a dripping puddle, and Kimber was ready to play. What?!? I just hiked your stinky pants up a mountain and now you want to play? What is wrong with you, dog? She just had to be content to lounge at my feet until daddy (Jefferson) got home and would rough-house with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment