You know that old Disney movie, the Rescuers? Well, whenever I hear an announcement about Relief Society, I think of that the song they would sing about the Rescue Aid Society, only I subsitute Relief Society in there instead:
![]() |
| R-E-L-I-E-F, Re-e-lief So-ci-e-ty! Heads held high, touch the sky, you mean everything to me! |
This past week, I got an email saying that my new Relief Society (cue song) was having a get-a-way over-nighter at Heber Valley Camp! I talked to Jefferson about it and he thought it was a good idea for me to go and meet some of the women in our ward.
I rode up with a neighbor, who was also leaving a little later due to work, and we chatted the whole way there. We got there just in time for dinner. I stood in line and grabbed some of the delicious dutch oven shredded meat and corn, then found a spot at a nearby table. I met several ladies, and when I left the table for a moment, they all began to ask my carpool buddy how old I was.
Now this is something I've never understood. Is it my face? My voice? Something about me just looks/acts young and people usually think I'm seventeen to nineteen years old. Come on! I've been married a year already!
I had to own up in front of all these older women that yes, I am only twenty, and yes, I've been married a year already. Thank you very much. We had a sweet devotional on hope, with the guest speaker being Sister Shirley Tong, Utah's Mother of the Year for 2010. She gave such a sweet talk on hope and loving and learning how to lean on the Lord in all things. What an inspiration!
The next day, after a long night on a wooden board of a bed (literally) we made little foam sun-visors. After trying to be a good sport (some women thought the visors were lame, and to be honest, they were...kinda, but I was determined to participate in everything) and making a visor, I was told how, when I wore the visor, I looked just like a baby with a bonnet. Thanks...I think?
After the visor fiasco, we went to the Challenge Course. The main feature was a large swing, and since the average age of my new Relief Society is at least fifty, this was perfect for all involved. Everyone took one turn on the swing and then it was time for lunch: chicken wraps and fruit. Yum!
After lunch came a sweet testimony meeting. I have moved into such a wonderful ward! Aside from a few pokes at my age, everyone was so sweet, and I love my RS President, Debbie. She sang Mary Poppins songs with me! It was meant to be, I tell ya!
After frantically cleaning to be outta there by two-thirty, we all piled into our respective cars and headed home. What a fun weekend with just the girls! I can't wait to get to know these women so much better!










No comments:
Post a Comment